Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

Announcing the Feedburner Pepper for Mint 2

Ronald Heft
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Apr 18, '07 at 02:59 pm

Any Mint 2 users looking for an updated Feedburner Pepper? Well, I got the goods. I’m not ready for a full release yet, but I have a beta version available.

If you’re looking to test the Feedburner Pepper for Mint 2, you can download it at this URL: http://cavemonkey50.com/downloads/feedburner.zip

I need a lot of help testing it, so if you download it, would you mind answering these few questions:

• Does it work?
  • How long is taking to display the data?
  • Are the dates correct and on par with what Feedburner.com reports?
  • Anything weird going on?

Keep in mind, this is a beta release so I’m expecting bugs. As the beta progressing I will be adding new features such as multiple feed support, and graphing capabilities. I’m still not sure how I’m going to handle click through traffic (if at all), since the Feedburner API only provides that for Pro subscribers. Regardless, this Pepper should be a nice rival to Bird Feeder when I’m done. Sorry Shaun. :-)

Ronald Heft
Posted on Apr 18, '07 at 03:02 pm

I forgot one more thing I’d like you test. Let me know if you have any trouble with file permissions. I’m still getting reports that some of my Peppers are coming with incorrect file permissions causing issue on certain web hosts. If you experience that problem with this download, let me know. I’m still trying to track down the source.

Hey Ronald,

I’m game if you have an open slot.

Ronald Heft
Posted on Apr 18, '07 at 11:26 pm

Just download the file above. It’s a public beta.

Thanks!

Ronald Heft
Posted on Apr 19, '07 at 03:59 am

I just upped a new version which is available at the same URL: http://cavemonkey50.com/downloads/feedburner.zip

New in this version is caching. To enable caching for faster output, CHMOD the included cache folder to 777. Then, tick the enable caching option in the Pepper’s preferences.

You can verify caching is working by viewing the Pepper and then refreshing the cache directory. You should see a YOURFEEDNAME.overviewcache file. If not, let me know and we’ll work on diagnosing the problem.

Take note that you can play with the cache refresh time in the Pepper’s preferences. That may or may not be in the final version. I’m trying to determine the best method for expiring Feedburner’s data. Technically data only needs to be fetched once a day, but Feedburner updates the information at a random time. If anyone has any ideas on how to approach this, let me know.

For your awareness, if you installed the previous version, you may have to uninstall and reinstall the Pepper before caching works. Mint should be updating the newly added variables, but it didn’t seem to be working on my install. Let me know either way if you had to uninstall and reinstall before the cache settings would work.

Finally, I need feedback. For those of you who downloaded the beta, please report back. If I don’t have real world data, I can’t determine if there are issues in my code.

Thanks and enjoy!

Sam Brown
Posted on Apr 19, '07 at 06:34 am

Hi Ron,

I have the Feedburner Pepper running over at Peppermint Tea’s Mint Install and I can’t say I have noticed any problems at all! Seems pretty polished.

Load time is fine, the data displayed seems right, however the Past Year section displays a lower number of Scribs than I would have expected compared to what Feedburner says the total is?

Other than that, great work!

cpoteet
Minted
Posted on Apr 19, '07 at 09:25 am

I installed it, and it broke my Mint installation. I just had a blank screen. Had to remove it.

Scailay
Posted on Apr 19, '07 at 10:00 am

Everything working fine except the cache. Although I set 777 permissions in my cache directory, there’s no files like myfeed.overviewcache. Anyway, it loads very fast.

By the way, what’s supposed to be the right column for? Average of that month subscribers?

a.jaffe
Minted
Posted on Apr 19, '07 at 11:25 am

Ronald-

I get the blank-screen problem (like cpoteet) and I also have a permissions problem:

-rwx------  1 jaffe  users  13344 Apr 19 03:42 class.php*
-rw-r--r--  1 jaffe  users   7838 Apr 18 03:04 class.feedburner.php
-rw-r--r--  1 jaffe  users   9350 Nov 23  2005 class.curl.php

I think class.php needs at least -rw-r—r—

Fixing this at least means I can install the pepper, but it still gives the blank screen…

Another data point: if I accidently leave out my feedburner URI info, the page loads — not blank, but no feedburner info (obviously).

Ronald Heft
Posted on Apr 19, '07 at 12:37 pm

Alright, thanks for the reports guys. The blank page issue that you guys are experiencing is due to the permissions being set wrong. Something in my work flow keeps on screwing up my file permissions. I’ll be investigating that today.

In the mean time, file permissions for the following files should be 777:

/ronaldheft/ /ronaldheft/feedburner/ /ronaldheft/feedburner/class.php /ronaldheft/feedburner/class.feedburner.php /ronaldheft/feedburner/class.curl.php

And the /ronaldheft/feedburner/cache/ directory should be 777.

If properly setting the permissions does not resolve the blank page issue, let me know.

Scailay, are you enabling the cache in the preferences? Also, did you have the old version installed? If you did, try uninstalling and reinstalling to see the problem is the variable issue I mentioned in my last post.

To answer your question, the right side should be averages by month. Is that not displaying for you? If you just signed up for Feedburner, the first month should at least have an entry.

Sam, I loaded up your Feedburner URL in my installation and I got the same low numbers for the year. The other Feedburner URLs I have been testing are not doing this. I’ll investigate this some more and let you know.

a.jaffe
Minted
Posted on Apr 19, '07 at 01:06 pm

Er, sorry Ronald, but changing everything to 777 doesn’t seem to help…

Blank screen is still there.

Andrew

Scailay
Posted on Apr 19, '07 at 01:31 pm

Yes, I’ve already enabled the cache in the preferences. I had the old version installed, but I uninstalled it befor installing this new pepper. I also tried reinstalling Feedburner pepper but cache is still broken (there’s nothing in cache/ directory).

Ronald Heft
Posted on Apr 19, '07 at 01:34 pm

a.jaffe, I think I know the problem. You have the Feedburner Pepper for Mint 1 installed. Installing both the Feedburner Pepper for Mint 1 and Mint 2 will cause a blank page issue.

You can move the old Feedburner Pepper to the disabled list and you should be alright. If not, just uninstall it for now. You can always reinstall it later.

Ronald Heft
Posted on Apr 19, '07 at 01:37 pm

Scailay, do you have Mint in a weird directory? Like something other than /mint/? I’m basing the cache folder off that Mint directory, so if you’re using something else it won’t work. I’m going to look into the directory issue and see if I can come up with a better detection method.

Scailay
Posted on Apr 19, '07 at 01:38 pm

Nop, my Mint directory is /mint/ :)

Ronald Heft
Posted on Apr 19, '07 at 01:40 pm

What’s the URL to your Mint install?

Scailay
Posted on Apr 19, '07 at 01:45 pm
Ronald Heft
Posted on Apr 19, '07 at 02:28 pm

Scailay, you only need to enter the last part of your Feedburner URL. You currently have http://feeds.feedburner.com/scnet entered in your prefs. That’s probably messing up the cache.

Scailay
Posted on Apr 19, '07 at 03:34 pm

Oops, I hadn’t realized of that. Now cache it’s working OK. Thanks Ronald.

Ronald Heft
Posted on Apr 19, '07 at 03:56 pm

New version! Same URL: http://cavemonkey50.com/downloads/feedburner.zip

Uninstall the Feedburner Pepper for Mint 1 Before Installing This Pepper

This version fixes the following:

• Horrible math on month and week averaging. Caused numbers to make no sense whatsoever. Sam let me know if this fixes your problem.
  • Changed wording in prefs to prevent confusion between Feedburner URL and ID.
  • Altered cache file name allowing full Feedburner URLs and sub-ids such as ronaldheft/comments to be cached. Note: The cache file name will no longer be human readable. It will be some set of numbers .overviewcache.
  • Should fix permission issue once and for all.

I need some reports back on the new caching and especially the permission issue. I’m fairly confident this release fixed both of those issues.

If you suffered from the permission issue, delete the old files before overwriting them with the new ones. Otherwise your permissions will stay the same.

Sam Brown
Posted on Apr 19, '07 at 05:01 pm

Horrible math on month and week averaging. Caused numbers to make no sense whatsoever. Sam let me know if this fixes your problem.

Hi Ron, yep, it appears like the Past Year stats are now as they should be and I can confirm that caching is working for me, all I did was set the cache folder 777.

a.jaffe
Minted
Posted on Apr 19, '07 at 06:04 pm

HI Ronald,

Yep - seems like the problem was my old “feedburner stats” installation! And permissions seem alright now. Thanks!

Andrew

Ronald Heft
Posted on Apr 21, '07 at 12:55 am

Once again, time for a new version! You can download it at the same URL: http://cavemonkey50.com/downloads/feedburner.zip

What’s New:

• Error pages will no longer be cached.
  • Adds support for multiple Feedburner URLs.
  • Adds graphing functionality.

The Feedburner Pepper should now be completely identical to Bird Feeder, excluding Seeds and Readers tracking. While tracking seeds is technically possible in Mint, I will not be doing it because Feedburner charges for that API functionality, and I doubt many people are paying for the service.

I need all beta testers to test the hell out of this release. Find any and all bugs. Any oddity, let me know.

Specifically, test the following:

• Adding and removing multiple feeds.
  • Caching with multiple feeds.
  • Graphing with and without caching turned on.

I hope everyone enjoys this release. Provided we don’t find any bugs, this release will become 1.0 in a few days. Enjoy!

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account