Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

Can't Watch

I’ve been unable to watch pages for quite some time now. I keep hoping these updates will fix the issue but they haven’t.

I click on the + and it turns to an x but the page is not added to the watched tab. Also, on page refresh, the x returns to a +

I checked the response in firebug and all is says is “Loading …”

Also, firebug reports no errors.

http://dwilkinsjr.com/mint (client mode disabled)

Update:

Watching from the “Pages” pane.

I can watch pages listed under Most Recent but NOT Most Popular

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Dec 03, '07 at 10:46 am

Unless you can provide a specific error I’m not sure I can do anything about this. I cannot reproduce the problem. I am able to watch/unwatch pages regardless of tab.

What version of Firefox are you using?

slt
Minted
Posted on Dec 05, '07 at 03:14 pm

I’m having the same issue. Here is a screencast of my experience with Firebug visible.

Using Firefox 2.0.0.11 on Mac OS 10.5. Only lead I have is that the domain I’m seeking to track is https.

Shawn, how else would you suggest debugging this? How else can I show more information about this bug? screencast.com/t/ba4bafJXc

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Dec 06, '07 at 10:43 am

slt, What version of Mint/Default Pepper are you using? Where is your Mint installed? What url are you trying to watch? Does that url contain the Mint JavaScript include (you can only Watch pages that Mint is already tracking)? Can you Watch any other url? Can you Watch the url using the + link in any other tab of the Pages pane?

Like I said before, unless we can identify the cause of the problem (there is no JavaScript error being generated) I can’t solve the problem.

slt
Minted
Posted on Dec 06, '07 at 01:59 pm

Thanks for your help Shaun (and apologies for the name type earlier).

Does this help: 1) What version of Mint/Default Pepper are you using? v2.07 - up to date according to haveamint.com/peppermill/pepper/4/default

2) Where is your Mint installed? https://mint.mydomain.com/mint

3) What url are you trying to watch? https://mydomain.com (and others, but let’s start here)

4) Does that url contain the Mint JavaScript include (you can only Watch pages that Mint is already tracking)? Yes. script src=”https://mint.mydomain.com/mint/?js” is included

5) Can you Watch any other url? No.

6) Can you Watch the url using the + link in any other tab of the Pages pane? Yes! That works just fine.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Dec 06, '07 at 05:19 pm

No worries about the typo.

The problem here is probably a combination of having Mint installed on a subdomain and using https. I seem to recall this combination being the source of some trouble in Firefox, have you tried Watching the page in Safari? Does that work?

Also, how old is your Watch favelet? If it’s from a version of the Default Pepper before 2.05 you may need to delete it and drag a fresh copy onto your browser from your Preferences.

Hi, I also can’t get page watching to work, i click on it but nothing gets watched. I’m using Mint 2.16, FF 3.0rc1. The mint domain is a confluence wiki server with urls like “wiki/a+sample+page”, but this gets stored in mint as “wiki/a sample page” (pluses converted to spaces). I wonder if this is messing up the watch command.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on May 29, '08 at 10:00 am

I can’t seem to reproduce this problem in Firefox Jason. I am able to watch pages with +’s in the url. Give me an example of a full url. Does the wiki/a+sample+page appear after a # by any chance?

I’ve got the same problem… Kinda.

I use mint on a wordpress installation, and watching some posts work while some don’t. It’s just so random.

Firefox 3, Safari 3.1, Opera (whatever the latest version is), Internet Explorer 7… All do the same thing.

I’ve upgraded Mint and my peppers last week, everything is up to date. Watching didn’t work before the upgrade, and doesn’t work after the upgrade as well.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Jun 02, '08 at 08:47 am

Are you experiencing this problem with just the favelet/bookmarklets or with the +/x buttons in the Pages pane as well?

I’m not using a bookmarklet, just the +/x buttons.

It’s so random. It’s been working for a few pages I wanted to track, but now won’t track a new post I just made.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Jun 30, '08 at 10:01 am

Is there anything unique about the url of the new post (especially extended characters)?

No, there’s not.

Actually, here are the some of the URL’s I’ve tried to watch and couldn’t:

But these DO work:

BTW, I also tried the bookmarklets, and they also don’t work.

(I just tried the ones with the *’s while posting this reply.)

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Jul 01, '08 at 09:46 am

Have you (or your host) recently moved your site (or even just the database) to a new server? If the database was moved from a 32-bit to 64-bit server the checksums Mint uses to retrieve Watched pages would have changed (this would only affect some checksums but not all). This particular cause of the problem would also result in oddities in the Repeat Referrers and Most Popular Pages panes (inconsistent or illogical reporting with the different time filters).

Check out this thread and compare your _checksum column types.

NetHawk
Minted
Posted on Nov 26, '11 at 07:45 am

Now I’m having that. It’s on a server, where it used to work. I tried to deactivate all other peppers except pages and I also tried several actual browsers.

When I deleted formerly watched pages, I got this in Firebug:

content is null elco.ch/mint/app/scripts/si-object-mint.js Line 812

Where in the mint_visit table would the information be, that a page is watched (or where else do I have to look)?

I’ve been fighting with this issue for quite a while now as well. I’ve read all the posts here concerning this issue and my server did indeed move from a 32bit environment to a 64bit one and then back again. I tried changing the column types as suggested (SIGNED for 32bits) and also used the “watched.php” tool that was presented in one of the posts.

When I try to watch one of the pages on my site and then check with the “watched.php” script it will display a negative value for checksum which I suspect is wrong.

So what’s the final word on this problem? Only thing I haven’t tried yet is to empty the “visits” table which I think I saw suggested in one of the posts.

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account