Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

heavy load / 127.255.255.255 / mint no longer tracking

hey, shaun.

so - i was recently fireballed by our mutual friend, and it was a definite stress test on my hosting company (inmotion). they mentioned that mint in particular was straining their servers, and asked that i install any caching or performance modules, if possible. i went to see what options there were within my existing installation, and noted the existence of a “performance” checkbox within ‘locations+’. turning it on promptly caused mint to stop tracking everything. any idea why?

suddenly, 127.255.255.255 is the only IP in the world, or so ‘crushes’ tells me. it’s even gone in and retroactively tagged prior visitors with the designation. i found, installed, and ran ‘checksums.php’ before writing…and now mint tracks nothing at all. uh…help?

and, so long as i have your attention, i guess i may as well ask your advice: what ARE the performance enhancing options for mint? i’m expecting traffic to spike at these kinds of DF levels again, and i’d like to be as prepared as possible for the eventuality.

wonderful, essential software. my thanks for your time.

g.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Apr 06, '09 at 11:09 am

For obvious reasons you can’t cache Mint. I have a feeling that the sudden jump in 127.255.255.255 is related to your host performing some sort of middleman caching between your server and your visitors.

Some Pepper are more resource intensive than others, for extremely high traffic sites I recommend only running a “Thin Mint” installation (just the Default, Backup/Restore and iPhone Pepper). This means uninstalling additional Pepper (not just disabling their pane as they will continue to run).

SI,

thanks for the reply. i’m not expecting traffic to remain at these past levels, so i’ll keep the mint chubby for now, bearing this advice in mind for the future.

also, i’ll check in with inmotion to see if they’ve tossed any caching at me, to try to solve the odd IP issue.

but as to getting mint back to tracking again: any advice there? it’s seen nothing for three days.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Apr 06, '09 at 01:19 pm

Sorry I missed that question. Have you tried unchecking the Locations+ performance checkbox? You could also try this: In Mint’s Preferences uncheck “stagger pane loading” and save. Then visit /mint/?errors. Let me know if that spews out any errors.

spew, indeed.

Notice: Undefined variable: daysDisplay_query in /home/superb10/public_html/mint/pepper/clupprich/geomint/class.php on line 491

Notice: Undefined variable: html in /home/superb10/public_html/mint/pepper/bradjasper/attentionspan/class.php on line 199

Warning: Division by zero in /home/superb10/public_html/mint/pepper/bradjasper/attentionspan/class.php on line 595

Warning: Division by zero in /home/superb10/public_html/mint/pepper/bradjasper/attentionspan/class.php on line 595

Notice: Undefined variable: hourString in /home/superb10/public_html/mint/pepper/colbymakowsky/sparks/class.php on line 184

Notice: Undefined variable: dayString in /home/superb10/public_html/mint/pepper/colbymakowsky/sparks/class.php on line 220

Notice: Undefined variable: weekString in /home/superb10/public_html/mint/pepper/colbymakowsky/sparks/class.php on line 257

Notice: Undefined variable: monthString in /home/superb10/public_html/mint/pepper/colbymakowsky/sparks/class.php on line 297

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Apr 06, '09 at 01:38 pm

None of those are the deal-breakers I was expecting. Did your MInt see my visit to the homepage from right before that last post? I checked the debug output on record and there were no errors.

Wait a minute. Which change caused Mint to stop tracking: the Locations+ preference for running checksums.php? Why did you run checksums.php?

no hit recorded; mint has been blind since friday evening.

the order of events was:

1. all IPs were becoming 127.255.255.255
  2. hit the forums here for a cure
  3. found [ http://bit.ly/sfkam ]
  4. ran checksums…
  5. and then mint died.

hey, SI. heard back from my hosting company, and they had good advice on the topic.

It appears that this is a known issue of Mint when changing to new servers. You can view this article on how to resolve the issue: [ http://bit.ly/3UqySL ]

i squinted my eyes, pretended to know what i was doing in phpmyadmin, and managed to do the steps outlined without destroying the world. and mint is back again.

problem solved…right?

my issue is similar but i have not changed hosts. this has been an issue right from the beginning. do you have any insight on these errors?:

Notice: Undefined variable: aliasquery in /home2/businfm2/public_html/mint/pepper/hansvankilsdonk/nametags/class.php on line 255

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home2/businfm2/public_html/mint/pepper/hansvankilsdonk/nametags/class.php on line 250

Notice: Use of undefined constant uFx_ip_long - assumed ‘uFx_ip_long’ in /home2/businfm2/public_html/mint/pepper/hansvankilsdonk/nametags/class.php on line 314

Notice: Undefined index: 127.255.255.255 in /home2/businfm2/public_html/mint/pepper/hansvankilsdonk/nametags/class.php on line 316

Notice: Undefined index: type in /home2/businfm2/public_html/mint/pepper/hansvankilsdonk/nametags/class.php on line 326

Notice: Use of undefined constant search_terms - assumed ‘search_terms’ in /home2/businfm2/public_html/mint/pepper/hansvankilsdonk/nametags/class.php on line 343

Notice: Use of undefined constant aantal - assumed ‘aantal’ in /home2/businfm2/public_html/mint/pepper/hansvankilsdonk/nametags/class.php on line 351

Notice: Use of undefined constant uFx_ip_long - assumed ‘uFx_ip_long’ in /home2/businfm2/public_html/mint/pepper/hansvankilsdonk/nametags/class.php on line 314

Notice: Undefined index: 70.29.13.233 in /home2/businfm2/public_html/mint/pepper/hansvankilsdonk/nametags/class.php on line 316

Notice: Undefined index: type in /home2/businfm2/public_html/mint/pepper/hansvankilsdonk/nametags/class.php on line 326

Notice: Use of undefined constant search_terms - assumed ‘search_terms’ in /home2/businfm2/public_html/mint/pepper/hansvankilsdonk/nametags/class.php on line 343

Notice: Use of undefined constant aantal - assumed ‘aantal’ in /home2/businfm2/public_html/mint/pepper/hansvankilsdonk/nametags/class.php on line 351

Notice: Undefined index: 66.249.72.208 in /home2/businfm2/public_html/mint/pepper/hansvankilsdonk/nametags/class.php on line 316

Notice: Undefined index: 75.111.153.81 in /home2/businfm2/public_html/mint/pepper/hansvankilsdonk/nametags/class.php on line 316

anyone? does anyone have an answer to my previous comment?

bogdani
Minted
Posted on Sep 13, '11 at 06:58 pm

Hello Wendell,

You should be aware that hosting providers are constantly doing software upgrades in order to keep the servers running smoothly and safely.

There are multiple methods to deal with this issue:

1. If you own a dedicated server (not very likely) you should be able to take care of this issue by changing this variable in php.ini

error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE

Then do an apache restart:

/etc/init.d/httpd restart

1. If you have a standard hosting solution then you should try this method (chances are that it will work - depends if the server settings gives you the necessary rights to do this):

Create a .htaccess file or edit the existing one by adding this line: php_flag display_errors off

1. Worst case scenario you should include this piece of code on all the php files at the top:

Good luck!

tried this but it didn’t work. thanks anyways. does anyone else have a solution to this problem?

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account