Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

Performance has stalled website

Ok - I’ve been running Mint for I think 2 years and always loved it - then about a month ago, my website started to slow down dramatically. The pages load quick but seem to take a long time to resolve. I thought maybe it was a dns issue or something.

Then about 2 weeks ago I also noticed that Mint stats panel was taking forever to load - I used to be able to refresh and it loaded instantly - now I refresh and the panels take a long time to load.

So I thought maybe it was the database server so I moved the database to a new db server - same issue.

Over the past few days I’ve been testing with and without the mint js code on my site and without the pages load super quick and there is no delay.

Any ideas on what I can do or test to get Mint running super quick like before? I really would hate to have to remove it.

Thanks!

one update - i have no peppers installed beyond what comes from the factory - it’s a base install

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on May 12, '10 at 11:09 am

You need to find out what changed a month ago that caused Mint to slow down. Did you update Mint or any Pepper? Did your host update or modify your server? Are you on a shared host? Maybe a new site added to the server is hogging all the resources.

i dont believe anything has changed - the website loads just fine now that i removed the mint code - i will try reinstalling mint and see if that helps. it’s really disappointing that I can’t use Mint the last couple of days.

can you tell me how to investigate this? i’ve been down now nearly a week from using your app - would like to get it back running.

thanks

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on May 21, '10 at 11:21 am

It is most likely a database server issue. Start by uninstalling any Pepper added since the problem appeared. If that fixes, a Pepper was at fault. Have you updated Mint recently? If so, Mint may be at fault. Check with your host and ask if they have made any changes to your server or database that might explain a decrease in performance. If you are on a shared server you might ask that they look into other sites on the server hogging resources.

ok will do - i have no peppers other than what comes by default. i moved the mint db 2x now to see - i have put it with other db’s i have and they all run fine.

my fear is now i am nearly 2 weeks with no stats in mint.

zigz
Minted
Posted on Sep 13, '10 at 06:38 pm

I just received this email from my webhost (top notch tech people):

============================ Our technicians have noticed that your MySQL databases are running more slowly than they are for most customers. We’ve investigated this, and it turns out to be because a script on the site is modifying a single item in the “mintstats” database tens of thousands of times a day — more than once a second on average. Each day, it’s writing several gigabytes of data, but the data all appears to be the same, or at least very similar.

Specifically, the database query that’s being run begins like this:

UPDATE mint__config SET cfg = ‘a:25:{s:13:"activationKey";s:17:"…";s:8:"siteRoot";s:0: [… long data omitted …] ’ WHERE id=1;

We don’t know why this is happening, but it’s not something we see with other customers. It looks like it might be doing a database write for each page view, which slows down your site quite a bit.

======================

I LOVE the real time analytics mint provides, but if my site is taking a performance hit (pretty busy site) I’m going to have to remove it (sooo hate to do that). Any suggestions or ideas what the problem is here?

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Sep 20, '10 at 12:43 pm

There is no problem here. Mint is working as designed.

Mint keeps track of total and unique visits in aggregate (rather than relationally as with the majority of the other data it tracks). Those numbers are updated with every hit by the query you see here. It is not computationally feasible to generate that data in real-time without more aggressive indexing of the main visit table (which in testing causes even greater strain on the database while recording hits).

I work for Tiger Technologies, the hosting company mentioned by zigz.

The response that “Mint is working as designed” is a little surprising.

I want to emphasize that Mint is writing about 2 GB of data a day to MySQL for this site, but almost none of that data actually changes on each write. It’s updating an almost identical multi-KB “mint__config” database row over 100,000 times a day.

Our profiling shows that this single activity outweighs the rest of the site’s script/database load combined. During busy times, the simultaneous database UPDATEs can block each other, leading to measurable increases in script loading time. Database writes are extremely resource intensive compared to just running PHP code or doing database reads.

While it’s not causing any actual problems (we can certainly “handle the load”), our customer has indicated that he’s concerned about maximizing site performance at the millisecond level, and this is by far the main performance bottleneck on a fairly complex site.

We’ve looked closely at what Mint is storing, and almost all of the row data is identical on each write. Are you saying that Mint is designed to rewrite several KB of almost entirely unchanging data to disk for every page view — including irrelevant data like the activation key — just to track a few bytes of changed data (such as total and unique visitors)?

If so, we think that makes Mint inappropriate for any site with more than a few tens of thousands of page views per day. When performance really matters, a system that performs gigabytes of unnecessary disk writes is not a good choice.

If one aggregate value changes — say, the number of unique visitors for this hour, or the number of visitors from France — then Mint should just update that data., not rewrite everything it knows about from scratch. It could use a smaller database row dedicated to each aggregate value, for example. This change would reduce the Mint resource usage dramatically.

— Robert L Mathews, Tiger Technologies

I too would like to know if/when this config table will ever be non-retarded. Why is the data crapped in there in that weird format. I wanted to pull Big Total via SQL, found this post and can’t help that the two are related.

ramette
Minted
Posted on Jun 05, '12 at 10:30 am

I’m having the same issue - It has gotten to the point that I have disabled Mint on my website after using it for six years. Would love to know if there is a fix to this problem.

cdprice
Minted
Posted on Jul 04, '12 at 01:03 am

I’m interested in learning more about this. Is it a scaling issue? Is there a plan to optimize mint to handle higher traffic, or can anyone recommend a better server setup to avoid the problem?

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account