Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

google.com/serach in Referrers

markn
Minted
Posted on Jan 12, '12 at 11:15 pm

It appears that Google has changed the format of the referrer information as I am now seeing lots of google.com/search entires in my Referrers list, but no details as to what was searched for.

I wonder if this is related to the recent plusification of Google Search?

Is anyone else seeing this in their referrers?

B.W.
Minted
Posted on Jan 13, '12 at 11:16 am

bump :-)

as of october 18, 2011, google has started encrypting certain search referral data. you can read about it here: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/ … ecure.html

B.W.
Minted
Posted on Jan 18, '12 at 05:46 am

Wendell, thanks for the follow–up — it explained it well.

Now, as the search term is known, maybe it would be possible to link to a generic Google search query instead of to this obscured referrer?

if i’m understanding you correctly, that is something that quite a few seo professionals (like myself) would like to have the ability to do. at this point, that’s not possible.

according to the google, this was supposed to effect anywhere from 5 to 9% of search results but are numbers are closer to 20%.

there’s not much you can do about it.

i’m drugged up on medicine, i just reread my comment, sorry for the spelling and grammar errors. hope i was clear..

B.W.
Minted
Posted on Jan 24, '12 at 01:10 pm

Don’t worry, you are :-)

I meant in the referrer plugin inside of Mint — that should be able to do just that. A little bit of regex could fix that. Well now, might look into it myself now…

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account