Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

Corrupted Referrers

I recently moved my site to a new server and a day or two after the move I started noticing a weird problem. The first item in the Referrers->Repeat, Referrers->Domains and Referrer Aggregator seem to be random. I think what it is showing is the last referrer to come in because it changes every time I refresh. If I expand the first item in ref->domains (or referrer aggregator) I get a mix of items from different domains under it. This ONLY happens with the first item. When I expand subsequent items they all have proper referrers under them.

One thing I just realized was that when I did the move I did not call the moved command. I have done that now, but I’m not sure if that screwed me up.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I love mint and would hate to have to blow away a years worth of data to fix this problem.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Mar 28, '07 at 03:20 pm

This sounds like the result of moving from a 32-bit server to a 64-bit server (or vice versa). (If you are storing a year’s worth of data then you are not using Mint as intended.) With Mint’s default settings this data should be flushed in 5 weeks or less (depending on how much traffic you do). You can also EMPTY the mint_visit table (using PhpMyAdmin or something similar) to flush the old, invalid data.

Sorry, I didn’t mean a years worth of data. I meant the aggregate data such as month and total hits. I see now that that is stored in the config table.

I did move to a 64 bit server.

I cleared the visits table, but the same problem is still happening. Is there something else I should do?

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Mar 28, '07 at 05:03 pm

Can you tell if the *_checksum columns in your mint_visit column are SIGNED or UNSIGNED?

They are signed.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Mar 28, '07 at 05:11 pm

All the *_checksum columns (and the ip_long column) should be UNSIGNED on 64-bit servers. After updating the column types you should EMPTY the table again.

That seems to have fixed it. Thanks!

does anyone know if it’s really necessary to flush the old invalid data? we’ve performed all of the steps but if we flush our data, we’ll lose all of our information. are we understanding this correctly?

was able to resolve the issue without flushing the tables. Seems to be working fine now…

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account