Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

If only I could suppress opinion concerning my work by taping clients' mouths shut

Which is effectively what Shaun just did by closing the two threads discussing the upgrade price. I’m sorry to make a new thread about it Shaun, but you’ve just closed those threads and I have to wonder: did you even read them?

At no point do I recall “Mint 2 is just a new skin” being said. The driving point was that Mint 2 adds little more value to the user experience beyond the interface tune-up. If you disagree with that then fine, explain your perspective (after all, it’s what we’re seeking) or let others chip in with why they think it’s worth $19.

Closing those threads seems like a massively defensive act to me, and leads me to no conclusion other than that you probably kind of see our points. You said we’re uninformed, so why not inform? Transparency is always the best way — especially in a niche crowd like this.

Or will you just further display arrogance by closing this thread too, effectively stating that my opinion isn’t worthy enough to even be discussed by others? If I was flaming you I’d understand the closing, but I’d like to think the points made in that thread were fairly reasonable. Would you tell me to shut up and turn your back on me if I criticised you in real life, assuming I was a real-life client of yours paying you as a developer?

In fact, forget it. You’re entitled to charge whatever you want for your software. There was a time when I advocated Mint and would have liked to see it do well based on that alone. Now, I don’t really care if you overcharge and destroy your fan base.

Close my thread if you really want to, Shaun!

Cloggin
Minted
Posted on Feb 06, '07 at 10:16 am

To a certain extent I agree with Ryan, but on a different level. Closing threads that are seeking help from other developers for Mint is just counterproductive, and eventually deters anyone from helping to make this open-source-style project better.

UNLESS: Shaun, your intention for these forums is not for idea generation and further Mint development, but as a customer service tool. Even then, customer service would be rating rather low.

To be clear, I’m not as concerned with the price as I am with how shot-down a lot of what I read in these forums has become. Maybe delete the threads instead of closing them. At least then these matters get taken up privately or on the side, rather than in full view.

ramanan
Minted
Posted on Feb 06, '07 at 10:28 am

Yeah Shaun, stop being such a jerk.

OMG MINT I5 SO EXPNSIV!!?!111 WTFBBQ

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Feb 06, '07 at 10:31 am

Deleting the topic would have been suppressing. Closing is a cue that your comments have been heard, that I’ve said my piece and I have more pressing issues to attend to.

I’m not here to convince you guys to pay for an upgrade. Your Mint license still does everything it did when you bought it. I’m not saying another thing on the topic of paid upgrades. I’ve already wasted too much time that could have been better spent supporting those who have upgraded.

These threads make me laugh. Not because peoples complaints are stupid (they’re not) its Shaun’s blaise attitudes to them. He’s got your money and if you want him to support your install you have to play nice, get annoyed or angry that mint 2.0 has broken something or you just payed $19 to get “official” versions of peppers you already had and he’ll ignore you.

ramanan
Minted
Posted on Feb 06, '07 at 12:13 pm

if you want him to support your install…

I had no idea there were serious support issues being ignored in these thread. I guess I was too harsh in my last comment.

“Mint is too expensive. Why won’t you fix that Shaun?”

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Feb 06, '07 at 12:18 pm

David, I’m not ignoring the technical problems people are encountering with their installations. And I’m not ignoring any complaints. I’ve already responded to the questions about upgrade cost and the meta-conversations those responses have sprouted.

If by “playing nice” you mean being polite and leaving personal attacks out of your posts, that certainly goes a long way towards receiving a more pleasant response but no one is being ignored.

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account

Hey there, I have officially suspended sales and support of Mint. The Create Account, Add License, Transfer License, and Contact forms have been disabled. Existing customers may continue to login and download Mint.

More info Continue