Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

Any demand for Hosted Mint as Service?

fez
Minted
Posted on Mar 26, '07 at 04:24 am

i.e. you buy the $30 license from here… but for some reason or another you cannot host it yourself.

I’m a Ruby on Rails shop so rustling up a spare PHP box was actually a bit tricky for me.

I’ve now got a Subversion repository with:

• Latest Mint
  • Freshview
  • User Agent 007 + UA Pies
  • Parsel
  • AdSense click tracker (working, w/ a little cross-subdomain hack)
  • FeedBurner Stats
  • Outclicks (soon)
  • etc

I’ll be getting the same setup going for 3 other domains.

What do you guys think?

And if you think it’d fly, what kind of pricing do you think would fly? (i.e. $9 / month or something)

I’m thinking each install would be at “mint.foobar.com” where foobar.com is your domain.

The only trick is you’d have to be savvy enough to setup a DNS entry for “mint.your-domain.com” to point to the hosted service.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Mar 26, '07 at 09:04 am

The EULA forbids providing Mint as a service. So this would not fly.

Shuan, why don’t you offer this? I know someone else with this problem with their ASP site.

Otherwise, perhaps offer different flavors, as crazy as that may sound. Such as an ASP version, or RoR, Python, Perl even. Just a thought.

Sam Brown
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Mar 26, '07 at 11:07 am

Otherwise, perhaps offer different flavors, as crazy as that may sound. Such as an ASP version, or RoR, Python, Perl even. Just a thought.

Its just Shaun developing Mint, the amount of time it would take to build multiple versions for different languages would be outstanding. Not to mention the amount of extra support that he would have to deal with.

Do you want Mint for $30 a license or $300?

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Mar 26, '07 at 11:35 am

As Sam said, I do not have the resources (or interest) to offer (and support) Mint in different languages (that includes programming and international localizations) or as a hosted service.

everisk
Minted
Posted on Oct 08, '07 at 03:45 am

Why does Mint forbids offering Mint as a service? We would need a separate license for each domain/installation anyway.

I am sure that people in the Community would gladly help translating Mint. I know I’d be happy to translate it into German so that others can make use of this great software.

ramanan
Minted
Posted on Oct 10, '07 at 01:07 pm

Would you also help Shaun with the support requests he’d get from customers who only speak German?

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account

Hey there, I have officially suspended sales and support of Mint. The Create Account, Add License, Transfer License, and Contact forms have been disabled. Existing customers may continue to login and download Mint.

More info Continue