Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

LF 100-man raid: Help improve the Locations Pepper

Till
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Dec 17, '07 at 09:45 am

Many people asked me about Locations+, but non of them want to pay 49 USD for the database license.

There is a free crappy version, which I’d like to test.

If 75 of 100 people reply to this post that the following test was successful. I’ll make a fast, free and sweet new Pepper.

You can find the test page here.

This isn’t meant patronizing.

jof
Minted
Posted on Dec 17, '07 at 09:56 am

Hi Till,

it works allright for me, showing a town nearby, the same as Google Analytics shows me coming from.

Best,

Frédéric

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Dec 17, '07 at 10:11 am

Spot on for me.

As an aside, you might want to change the title of this post. At first glance I thought it was spam. Something like “Help make Locations+ Free” or “Help improve the Locations Pepper” might net you more responses. Email me if you want/need me to change it.

finny
Minted
Posted on Dec 17, '07 at 12:13 pm

Right country (UK) but wrong region and city for me!

Sam Brown
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Dec 17, '07 at 12:19 pm

Close, nearly. Right country, wrong region & city by about an hours drive.

Till,

It works perfectly for me. Proper country, province and town. Thanks.

Wendell

The test page claims the following:

Your IP-Address: 123.45.67.89 (it listed my correct IP address) Your Country: United States (correct) Your Region: Ohio (correct) Your City: Butler (incorrect)

My actual city is Pataskala, which is approximately 50 miles south of Butler. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&g … 8&z=9&om=1

anoopr
Minted
Posted on Dec 17, '07 at 01:37 pm

I’d actually hacked Locations to use the Maxmind database awhile back. It is much better than the previous version. I’d planned on releasing it to the world, but then forgot. Whoops! Sorry.

In any case, I just wrote a quick PHP file to simulate hostip.info. Here it is. You need to have some of the PHP files from Maxmind’s site and the database installed, then just change the URL in Locations.

header(“Content-type: text/plain”);

include(“geoipcity.inc”); include(“geoipregionvars.php”);

$gi = geoip_open(“GeoLiteCity.dat”,GEOIP_MEMORY_CACHE);

$record = geoip_record_by_addr($gi,$_POST[‘ip’]);

$country = $record->country_name . ” (” . $record->country_code . “)”; if ($record->country_code == ”) $country = ‘(Unknown Country?) (XX)’;

$city = $record->city . “, ” . $GEOIP_REGION_NAME[$record->country_code][$record->region];

if ($record->city == ”) $city = ‘(Unknown City?)’;

print “Country: ” . $country . “\n”; print “City: ” . $city . “\n”; print “Latitude: ” . $record->latitude . “\n”; print “Longitude: ” . $record->longitude;

geoip_close($gi);

anoopr
Minted
Posted on Dec 17, '07 at 02:04 pm

Oh, whoops, my little PHP file was a hack for GeoMint, not Locations. My bad.

All parts correct for me!

Marius
Minted
Posted on Dec 17, '07 at 02:31 pm

Correct enough - got my city as Bellevue, WA when I’m actually in Redmond, WA - only about 5 mile separation.

_M

I was exactly 100% correct for me!

crazy accurate… other ip location things get a town 25km from here… but this… dead on.

Bakkel
Minted
Posted on Dec 17, '07 at 03:28 pm

Not quitte right!

Your IP-Address: 212.187.26.130 (correct)

Your Country: Netherlands (correct)

Your Region: Gelderland (not correct!! should be ‘Zuid-Holland’)

Your City: Nijmegen (not correct!! Should be ‘Dordrecht’)

Your IP-Address: 90.198.xx.xx (Correct) Your Country: United Kingdom (Correct) Your Region: Buckinghamshire (Correct) Your City: Amersham (Wrong)

I don’t get how that last bit is wrong though. Considering that Amersham is just outside Watford and in an entirely different county. 3 out of 4 is pretty good though.

SDJL
Minted
Posted on Dec 17, '07 at 04:00 pm

It’s pretty accurate for me, although it comes up with region the same as city, when technically it’s not.

Nailed it for me:

Your IP-Address: 66.92.xxx.xxx
Your Country: United States
Your Region: Massachusetts
Your City: Boston

Definitely look forward to seeing a free version of Locations+

Till,

Would the $49 licensing fee be a one time fee or does each person have to pay $49?

Country (Australia): right.

But region and city very wrong. The region shows the wrong state.

ramanan
Minted
Posted on Dec 18, '07 at 11:16 am

Right city (Toronto) wrong region (British Columbia)

First Test from workplace, correct!

Your IP-Address: 87.84.248.7

Your Country: United Kingdom (correct) Your Region: London, City of (correct) Your City: London (correct)

Second Test, should be correct (I’m checking the actual location of my dreamhost server):

Your IP-Address: 64.111.110.12

Your Country: United States (correct) Your Region: California (correct) Your City: Huntington Park (I’ll check)

Did another test from Rome and this is the result:

Your IP-Address: 81.208.83.243

Your Country: Italy (correct) Your Region: Umbria (wrong) Your City: Narni (wrong)

Good here:

Your Country: United States
Your Region: Illinois
Your City: Chicago

Dead on for me.

Your Country: Canada
Your Region: British Columbia
Your City: Victoria

Was correct for me.

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account

Hey there, I have officially suspended sales and support of Mint. The Create Account, Add License, Transfer License, and Contact forms have been disabled. Existing customers may continue to login and download Mint.

More info Continue