Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

LF 100-man raid: Help improve the Locations Pepper

brew
Minted
Posted on Dec 20, '07 at 05:11 am

Accurate enough for me. The town was out by just a few miles.

GWX
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Dec 20, '07 at 09:17 am

The database said:

Your Country: Netherlands Your Region: Noord-Holland Your City: Purmerend

Country and Region are OK (although Noord-Holland is officially a province, not a region). Unfortunately, ‘city’ isn’t correct: I live in Heerhugowaard, not in Purmerend. Purmerend is 20 kilometres away from here… ip-adress.com (yes, with one single D) gives me the right information, why not get in touch with those guys?

I did it twice… Once when I was VPN’d to work and once without. Both were accurate for Country and Region but City was a bit off each time.

One of them claimed I was in Mountain View, CA when it should have claimed San Jose, CA. The other claimed American Fork, UT but should have said Park City, UT.

Not bad, altogether. For a free version it’s close enough.

Ian D
Minted
Posted on Dec 22, '07 at 05:17 am

Spot on for me. Got my city correct from home and from work.

weiran
Minted
Posted on Dec 23, '07 at 09:14 pm

Gave me the correct country of UK, but nothing for Region or City!

jez
Minted
Posted on Dec 24, '07 at 09:53 pm

i’d love to say it was better! country was correct but the city was over 200km out. shame.

pichfl
Minted
Posted on Dec 25, '07 at 02:50 pm

Your IP-Address: 91.7.218.215 Your Country: Germany Your Region: Your City:

Should be: Bavaria, Kissing

Good luck.

LunaC
Minted
Posted on Dec 26, '07 at 07:28 pm

Another in Toronto… same thing for me. It’s showing the right IP #, City and country, wrong region. (It says BC, Toronto is in Ontario.)

It was correct for me in Portland, Oregon USA

Till
Posted on Dec 27, '07 at 04:22 am

Only 32 replies… I’ve updated the testing page to display additionally the payed database result. Maybe they are wrong to ; )

I think it makes no sense to create a pepper which records incorrect data, just because it look awesome.

The paid one is actually slightly more accurate for me. I live in Richmond Hill but I border Aurora and most metric systems identify me in Aurora. The free service identifies me in Richmond Hill and the paid one identifies me in Aurora. Both results are very good for me.

Sam Brown
Posted on Dec 27, '07 at 07:26 am

Iíve updated the testing page to display additionally the payed database result. Maybe they are wrong to

Hi Till, I visited the test page again and now the free database is showing my exact location whilst the paid the database is showing a close, but incorrect location.

Free wins for me. Now.

LunaC
Minted
Posted on Dec 28, '07 at 10:28 pm

The paid one is right for me now, free stills says Toronto is in BC.

punbros
Minted
Posted on Dec 30, '07 at 01:49 pm

Free one was right but the paid one missed by miles…

QAD
Minted
Posted on Dec 30, '07 at 10:46 pm

Your IP-Address: 157.228.xxx.xxx

Your Country: United Kingdom (correct)

Your Region: Sunderland (correct)

Your City: Sunderland (correct)

jof
Minted
Posted on Dec 31, '07 at 01:53 am

New Test shows:

Free service shows a location close to my place, a little off, but better than google analytics, so maybe it’s the provider misleading too?

The paid service is way off: displays Paris while I’m close to the ocean, 500 kms off!

Colby Makowsky
Posted on Jan 01, '08 at 06:04 pm

Correct for me.

Brooks
Minted
Posted on Jan 01, '08 at 06:21 pm

The free database thinks I’m in Kent, Washington while the paid database says I’m in Tacoma, Washington. The paid is closer to where I really am.

The difference is just under twenty miles, which is fine for my needs.

jof
Minted
Posted on Jan 01, '08 at 06:25 pm

new location (bigger city), new test: both paid and free are correct - would have to check the street to see if either one is better ;-)

both are spot on for me.

jez
Minted
Posted on Jan 02, '08 at 10:11 pm

the paid version had the country correct but the region was over 400km out! twice the error of the unpaid version! bizarre.

Your Country: Canada

Your Region: Alberta

Your City: Calgary

All is correct but the city, I’m 150km north of the one returned, however I think this is because my ISP is no good and shares the IP I have with 100’s of other subscribers.

shokk
Posted on Jan 03, '08 at 09:59 pm

Paid version is more accurate for me, although both are not correct.

Your IP-Address: 24.149.167.195

Free database says: Your Country: United States Your Region: New Jersey Your City: Franklin Park

Paid database says: Your Country: United States Your Region: New Jersey Your City: Somerset

Thought I’d try the updated version.

Well;

Free database says: Your Country: United Kingdom Your Region: East Sussex Your City: Brighton

Paid database says: Your Country: Your Region: Your City:

So the free one is technically better but it’s way off base. I’m in Milton Keynes which is about 100 miles away.

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account

Hey there, I have officially suspended sales and support of Mint. The Create Account, Add License, Transfer License, and Contact forms have been disabled. Existing customers may continue to login and download Mint.

More info Continue