Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

LF 100-man raid: Help improve the Locations Pepper

jjudd
Minted
Posted on Jan 05, '08 at 03:53 pm

Both were correct! Free database says: Your Country: United States Your Region: Illinois Your City: Chicago

Paid database says: Your Country: United States Your Region: Illinois Your City: Chicago

xul
Minted
Posted on Jan 09, '08 at 04:12 pm

Free one is all right. The paid one shows a wrong city that’s 100 km away (shows Chemnitz, I’m in Leipzig)!

I’m with a different provider tommorow and will check again.

What about ip-to-country?

Late to the party, but the free database was spot on and the paid database was off for the city.

Free database says: Your Country: Germany Your Region: Bayern Your City: Munich

Correct

Paid database says: Your Country: Germany Your Region: Bayern Your City: Munich

Correct

xul
Minted
Posted on Jan 10, '08 at 06:06 am

Behind a different provider today (Alice DSL)

Both free and paid service show wrong region and city: I’m in Leipzig, both show Berlin.

Helmut
Minted
Posted on Jan 11, '08 at 04:54 pm

Free database says: Your Country: Germany Your Region: Brandenburg Your City: Strausberg

50 kilometers from Strausberg.

Paid database says: Your Country: Germany Your Region: Berlin Your City: Berlin

Nearly, 10 kilometers from Berlin, but in the state Brandenburg.

It works.

stormy
Minted
Posted on Jan 14, '08 at 05:04 pm

Correct country, wrong region and city:

Free database says: Your Country: Spain Your Region: Madrid Your City: Madrid

Paid database says: Your Country: Spain Your Region: Catalu˝a Your City: Barcelona

I’m in Oviedo, about 500 km from Madrid and 1000 from Barcelona.

Was 100% spot on for me (Anchorage, Alaska).

works perfectly for me as well (Mexico City). Is it possible to download locations + yet? The demo looks fantastic. Thanks for all your hard work on this.

It was spot on for me when I accessed it from the office.

Free database says: Your Country: India Your Region: Maharashtra Your City: Bombay

Paid database says: Your Country: Your Region: Your City:

Paid database showed no results (surprised).

Till
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Jan 25, '08 at 03:25 am

lol, somehow I deleted the subnets. The paid lookup will work in a few minutes again.

WebHype
Minted
Posted on Jan 26, '08 at 04:43 am

Hey people, new to the whole mint thing, but a hardened web developer.

I run mint stats on 8baller.co.uk a very busy online multiplayer pool site. We currently run maxminds geolite database to target ads to specific countries and depending on campaigns, cities too.

We tested both the paid and the free database heavily on our site with over 230,000 members.

Advantage of the paid database: It correctly determines the location of AOL users. Thats about it.

After testing both databases, the AOL issue, didnt seem to effect anything and we saw minimal differences between the 2.

You will NEVER get 100% accurate results with either of the databases, due to ISP routing traffic through there datacenters and/or proxies like AOL.

The closest lock i can get for my IP is Manchester in the UK, this is approx an hour away from me, but its where the main datacenter is for our provider.

WARNING: using the geoip.dat file that comes with the geolite package and paid package really does give your server a good tanning if you have a high traffic site. Im new to mint so im not sure how or how often mint will look at this file to work out the countries, but we had to opt for the Maxmind GeoIP Apache Module to stop php working to hard.

This now works great, and enables apache to find the users location, meaning php doesnt have to do all the work. this freed up alot of the server cpu and memory and now our server runs smoooth. Using the normal php way with the .dat file really did give us heavy usage issues.

Anyways, sorry for rambling…

wrong for me…

it got the state but not the city and I’m in the largest non state capital

Till
Posted on Jan 28, '08 at 08:41 am

xul, I’m using webhosting.info’s ip-to-country service on my Locations Pepper.

WebHype, thanks for your informations. I started this post because I don’t want to create a Pepper which displays only inaccurate or even wrong data. This purpose (as you said) is in conflict with looking up users geographical locations.

I think I’m gonna use MaxMind’s GeoLite City database for my Locations+ Pepper. I’ll include an option to use the Apache Module for optimal performance.

I’ll rewrite Locations+ as soon as I finished my Tweets Pepper.

Till
Posted on Feb 04, '08 at 06:52 am

50% done :P

The free database is correct. The paid database is WRONG.

Free database says: Your Country: Sweden Your Region: Vastra Gotaland Your City: G÷teborg

Paid database says: Your Country: Sweden Your Region: Stockholms Lan Your City: Stockholm

And I’m in Gothenburg, Vastra Gotaland, Sweden.

“50% done :P”

Awesome Till

I can’t wait! well, I can because i know it will be worth it.

Till
Posted on Feb 06, '08 at 05:13 pm

75% : )

Till
Posted on Feb 07, '08 at 06:28 am

anyone with more than 30k unique hits per day who’d like to test it?

I only have 40 to 80 uniques per day, but they are very geographically diverse. Does that count? :)

The free database was correct for me and the paid one was wrong. The paid version only got the country right, the city and region were completely off.

Till
Posted on Feb 11, '08 at 05:26 am

I’ve released v100 of my Locations+ Pepper. http://pepper.pralinenschachtel.de

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account

Hey there, I have officially suspended sales and support of Mint. The Create Account, Add License, Transfer License, and Contact forms have been disabled. Existing customers may continue to login and download Mint.

More info Continue