Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

Bounce Rate

Chris24
Minted
Posted on Feb 09, '08 at 09:49 pm

Is there any pepper for finding the bounce rate of your site? I’ve looked, and couldn’t find one. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sam Brown
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Feb 10, '08 at 10:23 am

No, would be good though! =)

Brad Jasper
Posted on Feb 12, '08 at 11:31 pm

I’m actually working on a Bounce Rates pepper plugin now.

I should have it done in the next few days.

Let me know if there’s anything specific you’d like.

Currently I’m having an Overview/Day/Week/Month in typical bar graph fasion.

This is my first pepper plugin so I’m not looking at getting too crazy yet.

that’s awesome, i’ve been looking for this too. thanks.

Sam Brown
Posted on Feb 13, '08 at 03:43 am

Brilliant, can’t wait to see it Brad!

Brad Jasper
Posted on Feb 13, '08 at 02:00 pm

I considered doing a pages per visit tab but this is essentially the same thing as the bounce rate, just opposite.

Any thoughts on adding this?

personally i have a couple of clients that i’m switching over to mint, the pages per visit would be very helpful for two of them for sure. let me know if you need any help.

Brad Jasper
Posted on Feb 15, '08 at 10:07 pm

I just finished up the last touches on this plugin—it’s called Attention Span.

You can find a direct download here: bradjasper.com/downloads/bj_attention-span-0.1b.zip

You can find screenshots, a description and how to read the information here: bradjasper.com/archives/2008/02/15/atte … n-for-mint

I borrowed some code from the Default Pepper because it seemed like the most logical way to layout this plugin.

I wasn’t very happy with how the graphs turned out, but I couldn’t figure out how to make it start at a number other than 0. Maybe we’ll try that next release.

There shouldn’t be any/many bugs here as it’s fairly straight forward, but please let me know your thoughts/suggestions.

Once I know this works on a few peoples installs I’ll submit it to the site for inclusion.

As a note, I’ve included both Bounce Rates and Pages Per Visit. It was easy enough to add and it seemed useful.

So, what’s everyones bounce rate? I’m at a measly 40%.

Sam Brown
Posted on Feb 16, '08 at 05:08 am

Brad, great work! Love this Pepper and have just posted a link to it from Peppermint Tea - Hopefully that gets you a few more beta testers! =)

34% bounce rate over here.

QAD
Minted
Posted on Feb 16, '08 at 06:41 am

45% - too bad.

Really nice pepper. Well done, Brad!

Just come across Attention Span after seeing Sam’s post over Peppermint Tea :D

Vasilis
Minted
Posted on Feb 16, '08 at 12:22 pm

Thanks! This is a great pepper! I only wonder how the total bounce rate is calculated. On one of my sites the bounce rate of the separate months fluctuates between 22% and 26% yet the total bounce rate is 21%. I’m not good at math but something seems to be not entirely right here. On some other sites I see a similar situation. Other sites seem fine. Could this be because I installed Mint just a few months ago? Or is it a math thing I don’t understand (-:

I’m happy with the results though: two sites have a nice 21%, 33% on a small incrowd blog, and 16% on a new (dutch) gossipblog I made for my wife!

Brad Jasper
Posted on Feb 16, '08 at 04:22 pm

Glad to hear you guys like it so far.

Looks like I have some work to do to bring my bounce rate down.

Vasilis, I’m seeing similar results. I checked into this and the best I can tell Mint is calculating this number incorrectly. It actually seems on nearly all sections the unique number is not correct (but the pageviews number is). You can confirm this by visiting my stats at: mactips.org/mint

None of the unique visitors seem to match as they should.

Here’s an (ugly) image of how I arrived at this conclusion:

Mint Data Problems

At first I thought it may be with just the Months, but it seems everything is affected.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Anybody else experiencing similar data problems?

degsy
Minted
Posted on Feb 17, '08 at 06:46 am

So a lower bounce rate is better?

I’m a little confused as to what this is telling me, but I do know I like it!

My overall bounce rate is 9%, from over 7,500 unique visitors in that period and my average pages per visit is 11.

Worryingly my bounce rate is going up each month, from about 5-6% a few months back, to around 12-13% now (giving the 9% average above), so I’d like to know how I can delve into the figures deeper to work out why?

hey brad, great job on this pepper. i really like the page per visit tab. i was wondering if i could make a feature request. i would really like to know the bounce rate for specific web pages within my site. if you’re interested, let me know. i’d be more than willing to pay a little for the development of this one. thanks again for this brad.

Brad Jasper
Posted on Feb 17, '08 at 03:06 pm

degsy, Those are excellent numbers.

Bounce rate lets you know how many users visited 1 page on your website then left. So, the lower this number, the better your content/layout/design is.

An increasing bounce rate could be for a few reasons:

1. Putting advertisements on your site will often make a small percentage of users leave

2. Moving your content further down the page

3. A re-design can drastically effect your bounce rate

4. Your content may be getting worse

5. Your content may not being inviting users to view other articles.

6. This is done by referencing back to older posts

7. Series also do very well for decreasing the bounce rate

There’s a ton of other factors, but these are some of the main ones.

wenwon, I’ll look into this for you. I’m not sure how easy this will be because Pages doesn’t track unique visitors (from a quick glance).

Wouldn’t require payment, I’d just release it with the next version.

Let me look into it and get back to you.

I think it’d be a good idea to let people know which site your bounce rate is for. This way we can bounce some ideas of each other and see what works best for lowering a bounce rate.

40% - mactips.org

On a site note, the markdown doesn’t seem to like ordered or unordered lists.

Anybody had any luck with the unique visitors problem? I submitted a question to see if we could get an answer but I haven’t heard anything yet.

Vasilis
Minted
Posted on Feb 17, '08 at 05:09 pm

The unique visitors numbers seem logical to me. Unique visitors in March 200 and in April 300 don’t automatically mean 500 unique visitors overall. It could be 300 visitors who visited in March and in April, with 200 return visitors and 100 new visitors in April.

hey brad, don’t kill yourself trying to figure it out. it would be great but not necessary. i’ve actually got my programmer looking into a pepper that can analyze bounce rates for specific pages. i’m not sure if it’s possible but we’re going to look into it. if he creates something, i’ll let you know.

great blog by the way, i subscribed last night. cheers.

Brad Jasper
Posted on Feb 17, '08 at 07:27 pm

Vasilis, I guess I didn’t realize return visitors were taken into account across different months. I won’t worry about this too much, but it does make a difference of about 10% in the bounce rate.

Wenwon, I’ll still look into it for next release—let me know if you do find anything.

And thanks, I just shifted the focus on my blog to web development/marketing.

Brad Jasper
Posted on Feb 18, '08 at 11:55 am

As Vasilis said this is the way unique visitors are calculated. Different time segments are independent of each other as stated in http://haveamint.com/faqs/miscellaneous … tal_unique

Brad Jasper
Posted on Mar 08, '08 at 12:30 am

Thought I’d give you guys an update on this.

I’ve released a new version (should be on the site in the next couple of days).

This version adds a Quick View to see your information at a glance.

You can see what this looks like here: bradjasper.com/archives/2008/03/07/atte … d-for-mint

Download: bradjasper.com/downloads/bj-attentionspan-0.3.zip

Enjoy!

On a side note I’ve found this to be very useful so far. As you may recall I had a pretty lousy bounce rate when I started this plugin at 40%.

I’ve since dropped down to 29% and see this getting lower as I try new things.

I’d like to second the request for bounce rates by page - one of the most useful ways to use bounce rates is to find what pages have high bounce rates so you can improve them.

It also may make sense to link up with Shaun to put bounce rates into the “Pages” pepper “Entry” tab - seems like there’s space in the right column that could be used to good effect.

Brad Jasper
Posted on May 21, '08 at 06:35 pm

I looked into bounce rates by page and I found I’d have to start tracking that data manually.

It’s not out of the question, just isn’t on the plate for me right now.

If anybody else feels like contributing to the plugin go for it.

Otherwise it will be at least a couple of weeks.

I don’t believe you’re using the right calculation to determine bounce rate. Your algorithm is essentially:

bounce rate = the number of uniques/total pages.

I think this will give you the average bounce rate, but not the actual bounce rate. Bounce rate is supposed to measure the number of people that come to your site, see one page and leave.

As an extreme example let’s say your website receives 100 unique visitors. 99 of them leave after seeing a landing page, 1 of them views 1000 pages. The bounce rate here should be 99%, AttentionSpan would report it as 10%.

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account

Hey there, I have officially suspended sales and support of Mint. The Create Account, Add License, Transfer License, and Contact forms have been disabled. Existing customers may continue to login and download Mint.

More info Continue