Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

Mint blowing out my MySql on MediaTemple

Oh guys. Help.

In the last month, Mint blew out my allocated MySql database allotment 3 times. As a result Media Temple automatically upgraded my site to a personal MySql container on my grid service. That is going to cost me an additional $20 a month. This is something my site revenue cannot support.

Does anyone know what to do? I have even followed cravemonkey’s advice and open a perpetual database connection. Somehow the drain is still there.

I did a MySql query and 3 instances all refer to mint visits as a bottle neck.

Urchin tells me that 77.3% Page Query comes from my mint directory.

Currently my mint is running the peppers: locations, user agents, feedburner, adsense

Can anyone help as if this is not going to work, I will have to drop the use of this great stats package and use Google’s (shock horror!)

Thanks in advance Lmr.

Sam Brown
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Mar 12, '08 at 04:18 am

Can you let us know how much traffic your site is doing?

Thanks.

Hi Sam,

I get about 700-1K hits a day, 7-10K a week and about 35-45K a month.

Is that alot? I dont think so…can anyone else advice?

Sam Brown
Posted on Mar 13, '08 at 03:51 am

That’s only slightly more than my site hosted on (mt). I have another site that I was planning on moving there but if they can’t handle your hit rate, then its not going to be possible to move this site. Thanks for that info.

Hopefully when Shaun gets back from Austin and gets over Fever number 2 he will be able to help you.

No probs Sam, however do you have this same issue with your MySQL blow out?

grettir
Minted
Posted on Mar 13, '08 at 01:54 pm

This might explain why my MediaTemple-based sites haven’t recorded any hits since yesterday afternoon.

Surely they wouldn’t be foolish enough to start blocking all Mint installs without notifying anyone…

Sam Brown
Posted on Mar 13, '08 at 03:06 pm

@lingmiester I don’t have any issues with Mint & (mt). My site is doing about ~500 hits a day without any problems.

@grettir I have two Mint installs on (mt) and both are still collecting data.

This is terrible. I did not have this problem with Mint 1. It only seems to have started when I upgraded to ver 2 and paid the fees…

Also I noticed mint 2 does not allow you to manage the database size. I wonder if this can help if the database size is reduced.

grettir
Minted
Posted on Mar 14, '08 at 10:01 pm

…and, of course, they weren’t foolish enough to start blocking Mint installs without notifying anyone.

Instead, I was foolish enough to improperly upgrade a pepper and then botch the basics when troubleshooting the problem.

Sam Brown
Posted on Mar 15, '08 at 12:24 pm

Also I noticed mint 2 does not allow you to manage the database size. I wonder if this can help if the database size is reduced.

@lingmiester Sure it does. /mint/?preferences&advanced.

I had the same problem with my host which isn’t MediaTemple. As soon as my visits hit about 750/hr, the database server would crash. The MySQL report showed mint_visit as a loced process, so I disabled mint. That took care of the problem. I’m now checking to see if I can run it without the third party peppers without crashing. Hopefully that will work.

Ren

I have the same problem. I’m paying the extra $20 per month to handle the extra load. What’s this about?

BTW, I’m on MT.

Well till date still no solution. And I’m no code junky, and MT is not willing to help me trouble shoot. Anyone actually have this problem fixed?

Till
Posted on Apr 09, '08 at 06:39 am

My Durations Pepper can cause a lot of MySQL Queries if the preferences aren’t adjusted for the site.

Hmm I dont have this pepper installer.

Thanks Sam, I’ve reduced the stat count to 6months (24 weeks) and 10Mb database. I wonder if this will reduce Mysql useage.

What about you guys how long and large do you keep your stats?

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account

Hey there, I have officially suspended sales and support of Mint. The Create Account, Add License, Transfer License, and Contact forms have been disabled. Existing customers may continue to login and download Mint.

More info Continue