Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

Mint won't track mobile users

I’m experimenting with an iPhone/iPod Touch interface for my website, using the fantastic WebApp.net iPhone Web framework (http://webapp.net.free.fr).

I’m plugging mint into that just like I am for my non-mobile website, but somehow, Mint isn’t being triggered and I’m logging absolutely zero of my mobile visitors. I can’t figure out if this is because of Mint or some snafu with the web framework I’m using. I played around with Woopra (another javascript-based stats tracker) as well, and it seemed quite capable of tracking on both mobile and non-mobile sites.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I’m just afraid that my mint stats won’t mean much if my mobile interface really takes off :(

Sam Brown
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Mar 31, '09 at 04:04 am

It’s more than likely not a Mint related issue. Mint is tracking MobileSafari visitors on my site just fine.

Make sure that you are calling Mint at the correct URL and that the JavaScript include is in the right place in the head of your document (after everything else, right before the closing head tag).

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Apr 08, '09 at 09:53 am

Sam is correct. Mint has no difficulty tracking mobile devices that support JavaScript. Double-check your framework code and make sure that the Mint JavaScript is in fact being added to your mobile site pages.

It is; I’ve deduced that the Javascript in the framework effectively blocks the execution of the script that the main mint javascript inserts. Though I did notice this time through — but correct me if I’m wrong — that Mint has the capability of getting its data by dynamically inserting an image into the page rather than dynamically inserting another javascript? It appears that switching it over just involves a few quick edits to MINT_ROOT/app/paths/record/js.php, changing occurrences of &serve_js to &serve_img, and altering the tag that gets embedded. The only drawback being that the traditional javascript method would break.

Looking further, it seems that it would be trivial to make it possible to call domain.com/mint/?js_img as well as domain.com/mint/?js to choose which javascript to be inserted. I’ll piece this together and test it when I find time.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Apr 08, '09 at 12:35 pm

Just a heads up, these types of modifications are not supported so you’re one your own with this.

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account

Hey there, I have officially suspended sales and support of Mint. The Create Account, Add License, Transfer License, and Contact forms have been disabled. Existing customers may continue to login and download Mint.

More info Continue