Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

Warning: XXX Strong Mint

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Feb 06, '07 at 10:14 am

If you have the third-party “XXX Strong Mint” Pepper installed you must uninstall it before upgrading Mint. If you are new to Mint do not install XXX Strong Mint. This Pepper uses a function while recording hits that can cause a significant delay in recording a hit to your site (gethostbyaddr()).

If a hit is recorded during the update process you risk irreparably corrupting your Mint config data. Until this Pepper is updated to resolve this issue it should not be reinstalled.

The delay caused by this Pepper can also cause hits that occur during the delay to go unrecorded by Mint and its other Pepper (both official and third-party) in all versions of Mint.

Pepper which offer similar functionality (eg. SessionTracker, NameTags and the official Secret Crush) do not have this issue.

a.jaffe
Minted
Posted on Feb 06, '07 at 10:51 am

Shaun,

Thanks for the heads-up. However, I’m sure many of us have already upgraded and still have it installed. Should we uninstall it now? Are there any other procedures we need to follow.

And, for Shaun or the Pepper Developer, Nathan Kunicki — is this a fixable problem? (I rather like one particular feature of XXX Strong mint — the drop down list of visits in the table of repeat users — which doesn’t seem to be in any of the others.)

Andrew

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Feb 06, '07 at 11:05 am

If you have already upgraded and are comfortable knowing that Mint could be missing visits as a result of having this Pepper installed, then you can keep it installed. But the official recommendation is to uninstall it.

The Pepper could be updated to correct this problem. It needs to get and cache the result of gethostbyaddr() (which can take tens of seconds to return) when viewing Mint (or otherwise asynchronously), not recording visits.

I think part of that last question was missed.

If XXX Strong Mint was installed when we installed the new version of Mint, should we reinstall Mint entirely?

I’ve already uninstalled and deleted XXX Strong Mint. My stats do seem to be functioning fine, but my config data may well be corrupted and I don’t know it. What is recommended if we have already installed Mint 2.0 while XXX Strong Mint was installed.

Thanks and great product.

Todd

steffx
Minted
Posted on Feb 06, '07 at 11:24 am

After uninstalling XXX Strong Mint all my visits went to IP 0.0.0.0. All the relevant threads are closed by blaming a third-party-pepper. My whole statistic is broken. To be honest I do not have the feeling that mint2.0 was tested well before - which is ok in an free open-source-project but not on a comercial product with a payed update!

yes, i am pissed !

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Feb 06, '07 at 11:46 am

Todd, reinstalling Mint shouldn’t be necessary.

Steffx, with XXX Strong Mint uninstalled, where are you seeing the 0.0.0.0?

steffx
Minted
Posted on Feb 06, '07 at 11:55 am

hi,

i see the 0.0.0.0 ips within sessiontracker - i put the feature to take the hostnames from xxx strong mint off.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Feb 06, '07 at 12:09 pm

Do you have the Secret Crush Pepper installed? Have you had that Pepper installed and then uninstalled it since upgrading? That would result in your IP addresses being zeroed.

steffx
Minted
Posted on Feb 06, '07 at 12:16 pm

i had secret crusher installed and uninstalled it later (as i did with nearly every pepper since i had so much problems with 2.0)

what do i have to do now, and which peppers are ok within mint2.0 ?

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Feb 06, '07 at 12:22 pm

All of the official Pepper are ok. Session Tracker would have continued operating normally had Secret Crush not been (installed and then) uninstalled. Other Pepper should continue working normally as well (besides some cosmetic imperfections) but the individual Pepper developers would be the ones to go to for absolute confirmation.

steffx
Minted
Posted on Feb 06, '07 at 01:06 pm

Does this mean installing and uninstalling your pepper “secret crusher” breaks my installation ? Will reinstall “secret crusher” fix the problem or is all messed up now ?

Thank you for answering all my questions and being part of this beta-test

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Feb 06, '07 at 01:19 pm

Uninstalling Secret Crush removed the ip data from your installation. Mint 2 does not track ips anymore. This responsibility has migrated to the Secret Crush Pepper. When you installed Secret Crush it took ownership of your existing ip_long database column. That column was removed when you uninstalled Secret Crush.

Reinstalling Secret Crush will add the ip_long column to your database and after a few days Session Tracker will start reporting normally again (The problem is that Session Tracker is assuming that IPs are being tracked. It needs to be updated to only select records that have the IP present.).

steffx
Minted
Posted on Feb 06, '07 at 01:35 pm

so after reinstalling secret crusher my first visitor in sessiontracker is shown with 255.255.255.255 … how that ?

steffx

steffx
Minted
Posted on Feb 06, '07 at 01:51 pm

…there are some visits in my sessiontracker that does not appear in secret crushes at all … normal ?

gleek
Minted
Posted on Feb 06, '07 at 04:37 pm

ok, i have both XXX strong mint and secret crushes installed. if i uninstall XXX strong mint now, will that break my secret crushes installation?

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Feb 06, '07 at 04:43 pm

gleek, no, it shouldn’t.

michael
Minted
Posted on Feb 09, '07 at 12:25 pm

OK, this is not very funny. After installing, uninstalling, re-installing extensions like “XXX Strong Mint” (simply trying to get things working) my MINT database seems broken somewhere. Crushes does not show any data (anymore). There are no third party Peppers installed anymore, just the official ones.

I verified that there is a table column called “IP_long” in the database, containing data. Still Crushes does not show anything.

What should I do now? Re-install everything and start with an empty database???

Is there any way to rapair the database if it has been corrupted by using Peppers and installing a paid MINT upgrade? (I did not know that these things are bad…)

If there is no easy way, I will start from Zero again (with an empty database and a new installation). I do not have the time to play around in MINT databases. Surely my other installations of MINT will not be upgraded.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Feb 09, '07 at 01:03 pm

Michael, no need to panic.

Did you uninstall all the third-party Pepper or did they disappear when you updated? From the outside your Mint installation and debug info look fine. What exactly is the problem? What was the original problem that sent you into a panic of installing, uninstalling, reinstalling? What is the problem now after doing all that?

michael
Minted
Posted on Feb 09, '07 at 02:52 pm

Shaun,

Problem solved (see end of this post).

Nevertheless, here’s what happened: First, I installed MINT 2 and some of the official peppers. I copied the unofficial MINT 1 Peppers following the installation instructions. Only 0.0.0.0 IP addresses appeared in Session Tracker. Then I learnt (on your website) that I would need Secret Crush. I installed it, and everything worked. Later I uninstalled XXX Strong Mint and Session Tracker because Secret Crush provides sufficient information to me. At that point still everything seemed to work fine.

Next: I updated my MINT installtion - everything still OK.

Next: I updated Secret Crush. Ooooops - it displayed just nothing. I uninstalled it, then installed it again. Still nothing to be seen.

So I tried to find out what had happened. At that moment I did not precisely remember the steps I had taken. Maybe I had incorrectly removed XXX Strong Mint? So I re-installed it to perform a “perfect” un-installation again. Still Secret Crush did not display anything…

In the end I found out that Secret Crush’s default was to identify visitors by name - but there are no named visitors on my website. So it did not display anything. Switching to “hostname” restored the behaviour I was looking for.

Nevertheless: Maybe you want to include some “special pepper instructions” in MINT’s installation notes. (And maybe you could set Secret Crushes default display to “IP Address”.)

Thank you for your quick reply!

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Feb 09, '07 at 03:38 pm

Ah, I see. The next version of Secret Crush will default to display IP Addresses instead of names.

Secret Crush was never meant as a replacement for the existing third-party session Pepper but since both have been retired or abandoned that’s what people are turning to this Pepper for.

Secret Crush will be growing to accommodate those needs.

JCFP
Minted
Posted on Feb 10, '07 at 02:29 am

hi, shaun,

as i briefly mentioned in the other thread, please consider incorporating an option to search for a particular IP in secret crush, similar to what is available previously in xxx strong mint.

the other feature is to display in color red if a proxy ip is detected and to have the option to display both IP and name in the default rather than choosing one or the other but not both (again, much like strong mint)

Lantzr
Minted
Posted on Mar 08, '07 at 03:17 pm

I’m glad I found this thread because for weeks I’ve just been grumbling about installing Mint 2. Everything was humming along just fine before then. Obviously, I installed Mint 2 before uninstalling XXX Strong Mint (my favourite Pepper, by the way). It was a day or two before I realized XXX Strong Mint was no longer tracking visits and it showed IP 0.0.0.0 with thousands of visits (unusual). So, I uninstalled and cursed Mint 2. Now, I don’t know if I really understand what I’m supposed to do after reading the thread above. I’ve uninstalled and re-installed XXX STrong Mint and Secret Crush a couple of times. Right now, neither is installed. WHAT DO I DO TO GET ONE OF THESE WORKING? I’d like to use XXX Strong Mint if possible, but I’ll settle for Secret Crush. Thanks.

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account

Hey there, I have officially suspended sales and support of Mint. The Create Account, Add License, Transfer License, and Contact forms have been disabled. Existing customers may continue to login and download Mint.

More info Continue