Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

Updates Available Fix

Shaun, I see the problem. The request you’re sending isn’t setting the user agent field:

72.10.44.23 - - [19/Feb/2007:18:47:08 -0800] "GET /mint/? HTTP/1.1" 403 - "-" "-"

Looking at my logs, I noticed a bunch of requests a while back with no user agent string set to random pages and figured they were email address harvesters for spam, so I forbid access for blank user agents.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Feb 19, '07 at 11:52 pm

Ah, alright. I’ve added a custom user agent:

Mint Man/2.0 (down; R; up; L; Y; B) www.haveamint.com

It appears to be working now.

Confirmed on my end. Thanks!

Thanks for moving the styles directory up, Shaun! :D

RiffD
Minted
Posted on Mar 24, '07 at 10:50 pm

Have to chime in here that with 2.04 I’m getting the same “Could not determine available updates…feature requires Mint 2 or later.” My bookmark does have the www. in it, so that’s not it.

?

Thanks, Gary

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Mar 26, '07 at 09:49 am

Your server is not responding to requests from haveamint.com. This could have something to do with your firewall and will have to be resolved on your hosts end.

RiffD
Minted
Posted on Mar 26, '07 at 11:01 am

Thanks, Shaun, but can you be more specific on what I should ask them? And would this show up in the server error logs (and if so, how could i trigger it to go look? Request the update again?).

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Mar 26, '07 at 11:32 am

Hmm, I’m not sure. The server just didn’t respond. No response code. No error page was served. I guess you could ask them if their firewall is configured to ignore or block requests from haveamint.com.

RiffD
Minted
Posted on Mar 27, '07 at 07:49 am

Shaun - received this from my hoster (Site5) in response to my query about blocking requests from haveamint.com:

There are presently no blocks to or from any sources on the local machine or to any remote location. Thanks.

Any other idea why this is occuring?

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Mar 27, '07 at 10:55 am

Here’s the problem, your server is taking ages to respond (averaging about 17 seconds). I’ve doubled the timeout on the request which should cover you.

RiffD
Minted
Posted on Mar 27, '07 at 07:30 pm

Thanks, Shaun, that worked. I’m on the verge of renewing with this hoster, and this issue (plus several others) makes me nervous about renewing. The old hoster (hostingmatters) never gave me any issues, whereas the new one (Site5) has had irritating little things along the way, this being one of them. Sorry, didn’t mean to go off-topic. :-)

Basheer
Minted
Posted on Mar 27, '07 at 08:53 pm

I suggest nearlyfreespeech.net if you are not actually using all 5tb’s of that bandwidth.

Hi, “check for updates” failed with “Your server could not be reached. There could be an intermittent network outage between the haveamint.com server and your server or your host could be blocking incoming requests with a firewall.”. I can’t change the firewall to allow incoming requests, can you improve the update feature so in the future it will work w/o doing incoming requests?

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on May 29, '08 at 10:03 am

I’ll see what I can do.

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account

Hey there, I have officially suspended sales and support of Mint. The Create Account, Add License, Transfer License, and Contact forms have been disabled. Existing customers may continue to login and download Mint.

More info Continue