Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

SecretCrush Name Issues

kristin
Minted
Posted on Feb 10, '07 at 12:57 am

I’ve been going around with this for a few days now. I’ve got secretcrush and its running and working well.

The problem is it will ONLY work with ip or hostname. Not with name. No matter how many times I try to set it to name, it defunks back to IP. I’ve tried in safari, firefox (mac AND pc), and in IE7 the dropdown box to select which option you want doesn’t even show up.

I’m running wordpress and the cookies for peoples names on my site are the default comment_author_

If i look in the database there is NO entries in the visits table for any visitor_names

It’s as if it isn’t posting any of the information to the DB.

Am i doing something wrong? I’ve tried deactivating and reactivating the pepper with no luck.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Feb 10, '07 at 11:50 am

I appears that Secret Crush is identifying comment_author_url_* instead of comment_author_*. I’ll look into this.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Feb 10, '07 at 12:25 pm

Okay, I’ve discovered two problems with Secret Crush and Wordpress. If your Wordpress installation is in a directory off of root and Mint isn’t in that directory as well, Mint doesn’t have access to cookies set by Wordpress. (This isn’t affecting you Kristin but included here in case someone runs into this problem.) You need to change the way Wordpress sets cookies by adding the following to your wp-config.php

define('COOKIEPATH', '/'); // don't limit WP cookie access to just the wordpress directory

A new version of Secret Crush is available to resolve your problem Kristin.

kristin
Minted
Posted on Feb 10, '07 at 03:59 pm

Still no luck. I upgraded to 2.02 and upgraded the secret crush, left it for a few hours and the secretcrush panel still shows up with no data. I looked in my database and the column for visitor_name is still empty, even tho I had a couple people test it out and post test comments on my site to see if it would come up.

I noticed if I edit any preferences for the secret crush or other peppers it defaults back to IP instead of name still.

To get it to come back to name and stay that way I have to uninstall secret crush, reinstall secret crush, and then go back to the mint page.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Feb 10, '07 at 05:16 pm

Ah, you’re still having a problem with cookie access. Your wordpress installation is setting a cookie for www.yourdomain.com instead of just yourdomain.com. For the highest level of compatibility it should be setting a cookie for .yourdomain.com.

Because Mint is installed on just yourdomain.com it can’t access cookies set by www.yourdomain.com. That’s not a Mint or Wordpress specific issue, it’s just way the cookie crumbles—delicious pun intended.

I’m not sure how to go about getting Wordpress to play nice on this particular detail.

I use this at my blog: Enforce www. Preference. It seems to work pretty well, and anyone visiting a URL with or without www. (depending on your WordPress setting) is redirected.

I use www., for no other reason except I like it better. Mint seems to be catching the names with no tweaking necessary for me. Give it a try.

what about for subdomains? the same thing?

kristin
Minted
Posted on Feb 10, '07 at 11:53 pm

Thanks flammable. I’ll try that :)

kristin
Minted
Posted on Feb 11, '07 at 12:02 am

Scratch that. I’ve got an easier fix. I’m just posting it here incase someone else is having troubles.

I just went to my wordpress options in the admin admin and changed the:

WordPress address (URL): and Blog address (URL): from http://www.wiphey.com to http://wiphey.com

Tested it with a friend and it worked!

Don’t you hate it when you spend hours fiddling with something and it turns out to be something THAT simple..

thanks for the help guys :)

Movable Type appears to have the same issue. Would transferring a “yourdomain.com” Mint license to “www.yourdomain.com” solve this problem for those of us who want to keep the “www” prefix? And, if it does solve the problem, is there a way of transferring the license without having to uninstall Mint and start over?

Interesting… if I change the domain to have the “www” prefix in my Mint preferences, things seem to work fine. The only problem is that the preference doesn’t stick… the next time I open up Mint prefs, it has reverted back to the non-www domain?

kristin
Minted
Posted on Feb 11, '07 at 02:33 pm

I’ve got problems with preferences not sticking also. If I edit ANYTHING in my admin, some preferences go back to default.

I’m not sure what it is. For now, its working so I’m not touching anything in the pref’s =)

Does SeceretCrush work with an install of Wordpress on a subdomain ( sub.domain.com ) , with Mint installed on the regular domain (domain.com)?

Is there a way to play with things to make that work? Thanks! ( and would it make more sense for me to start a new topic, eh?)

Kopanas
Minted
Posted on Feb 11, '07 at 04:39 pm

I am having a similar problem. I have a rails app that I store the users nickname like this: session[:nickname] and when I ask Mint to show the nickname it doesn’t show it.

Mint is installed in a subdomain… any suggestions?

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Feb 11, '07 at 06:53 pm

Blogography, Mint will always trim the www. so that the cookies it sets are more universal and can be found whether someone visits your site at domain.com, www.domain.com, sub.domain.com, or domain.com/path/.

Kristin, there is a problem with our Mint if you can’t save your Preferences. Try adding &errors to your Preferences url.

Nebagakid, this is borderline new topic. Try adding the following to your wp-config.php:

define('COOKIE_DOMAIN', '.yourdomain.com'); // don't omit the leading `.`.

Kopanas, create a new PHP document containing the following:

echo '<pre>';
print_r($_COOKIE);
echo '</pre>';

Do you see your nickname in that array? What index contains the nickname? That’s the identifier you should add to Secret Crush.

Shaun, that did it, thanks for the great customer support.

Kopanas
Minted
Posted on Feb 12, '07 at 05:56 am

hmmm… can’t add a PHP file to rails application… I thought I could in the public folder but didn’t render… just outputed it. I am going to have to find another solution.

Kopanas
Minted
Posted on Feb 12, '07 at 06:03 am

Oops… forgot to open and close the PHP part :-). Got it.

But unfortunately the only things that are in their are: _session_id, __utmz, __uutma.

I thought for rails session data is being stored in cookies… I could be wrong though.

Fenicle
Minted
Posted on Feb 12, '07 at 02:30 pm

The crushes pepper seems to be working with WP (i think). I have it set to name in the preferences and it is logging the cookies set by those that comment, however, crushes is showing the URL they entered instead of their username. Is that the way its suppose to work?

Here is a screenshot: http://fenicle.com/crushes.png

Here is my dir structure if it matters:

WP: /

MINT: /mint/

Ronald Heft
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Feb 12, '07 at 09:05 pm

Fenicle, are you using the latest version of Crush (2.04). This occurred for me also until the latest version.

Fenicle
Minted
Posted on Feb 12, '07 at 09:46 pm

Yes. I am using 2.04

Fenicle
Minted
Posted on Feb 12, '07 at 10:06 pm

OK, I just reinstalled the secret crush pepper again and I think it might be working now. The last comment showed up as the username.

kristin
Minted
Posted on Feb 12, '07 at 10:37 pm

I don’t see anything different when I go to /?preferences&errors

When I set it to name and then save, it just takes me back to the mint page with the IP’s showing, and then if I go back to preferences&errors again, IP is selected and not name.

kristin
Minted
Posted on Feb 12, '07 at 10:55 pm

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/wiphey/public_html/mint/app/lib/mint.php on line 1586

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/wiphey/public_html/mint/app/lib/mint.php:1586) in /home/wiphey/public_html/mint/app/lib/mint.php on line 2362 MINT A Fresh Look at Your Site

That happened when I uninstalled secret crush. Theres no issues when I reinstall, or when I save any preferences, but the same issue keeps happening, it keeps defaulting back to IP’s instead of names when I change any preferences.

The only way I can get it to stick is if I uninstall and re-install, and thats only because names is default.

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account

Hey there, I have officially suspended sales and support of Mint. The Create Account, Add License, Transfer License, and Contact forms have been disabled. Existing customers may continue to login and download Mint.

More info Continue