Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

Mint is making my site load very slow

My site is taking anywhere from 30 seconds to over two minutes to load. I have Firebug installed so I can see it’s mint that is causing the slowdown.

Please check out here: paulmayne.org

Note: I recently moved my site to Dreamhost and I transfered the database. Seems like it was not this slow before the move.

Ronald Heft
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Jul 10, '07 at 04:13 am

After the initial load your site performed fine. That leads me to believe you have some Pepper installed which is doing ip-based tracking (location lookup?) that occurs once and is somehow bogging things down. I see you have XXX Strong Mint installed. I know that’s been known to cause problems with Mint 2, especially with Secret Crush installed (which I see you have). I would try removing it and seeing if load times improve.

Other than that, I would just try general things. Ensure you ran ?moved after the update. Make sure your database doesn’t have an insane overhead by checking it out in phpMyAdmin (and running a repair if it’s out of the ordinary). There are a couple of other errors on your site (such as Last.fm plugin throwing back errors). Double-check that some other problem isn’t somehow related to Mint (I doubt it, but it can’t hurt).

Hopefully one of my suggestions clears things up for you.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Jul 10, '07 at 10:34 am

I see you have XXX Strong Mint installed. I know thatís been known to cause problems with Mint 2, especially with Secret Crush installed (which I see you have).

The problems caused by XXXSM (which include the issue Paul describes) are not limited to affecting Mint 2 or dependent on Secret Crush also being installed. XXXSM does its ip to hostname lookups on record. If the name server used to perform these lookups is sluggish, Mint performs poorly and in some cases can miss hits as a result of the delay caused by this Pepper.

XXXSM is no longer being supported by its developer and should be uninstalled.

Thanks Ronald and Shaun, that seems to have solved it.

I was under the impression that when a Pepper was Disabled (as XXXSM was for me) it would not affect anything. But apparently you need to uninstall.

Keep up the great work guys.

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account

Hey there, I have officially suspended sales and support of Mint. The Create Account, Add License, Transfer License, and Contact forms have been disabled. Existing customers may continue to login and download Mint.

More info Continue