Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

Heavy presence of 127.255.255.255

Can anyone help me figure out why there are more than 514 hits for 127.255.255.255 in Crushes in the last 24 hours? See, it’s not a valid address. It’s a loopback address. But all the pages they’re hitting seem to be normal browsing activity.

Since it’s a brand-new phenomenon, it’s probably related to the fact that I moved my site to another provider yesterday. The DB, however, is still where it was.

Also, in the Referrer Aggregator, I’m getting google.com listed under “Websites,” when it shouldn’t be appearing there at all. Plus, if I click on it in the listing, some of the URLs are for Yahoo searches, not Google searches

Anybody? This is not normal behavior.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Jul 16, '07 at 06:36 pm

Sorry for the delay (please see this post for an explanation).

This sounds like two potential problems. When you switched hosts, did you go from a 32-bit server to a 64-bit server? If so, check this thread for a solution That would explain the inconsistent referrer domain listings. The IP address issue is likely the result of a firewall or some sort of proxy on your new server.

That’s exactly the problem, Shaun. I will just wait for the old data to be flushed out. Thanks!

Ronald Heft
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Jul 17, '07 at 03:12 pm

Grant, you also have to change the *_checksum columns to UNSIGNED. Just waiting for the data to flush out won’t solve the problem.

markn
Minted
Posted on Jan 09, '08 at 09:13 am

If I changed the *_checksum columns to UNSIGNED, can I wait for the data to flush (i.e., 5 weeks) or do I need to EMPTY the visits table anyway?

And if I do EMPTY the visits table, what data will I lose? I’ll still have my overall visits, but no detail of the last 5 weeks?

TIA, Mark

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Jan 09, '08 at 10:13 am

And if I do EMPTY the visits table, what data will I lose? Iíll still have my overall visits, but no detail of the last 5 weeks?

Until that corrupted data is flushed hits for specific pages and referrers may be grossly inaccurate (with no way to distinguish between valid and tainted numbers). After EMPTYing the table you will retain all aggregate data (the Visits pane, the Feeds pane, the list of Watched pages but not their counts, etc). Everything else will have to be repopulated.

markn
Minted
Posted on Jan 10, '08 at 09:18 am

I have followed the steps outlined in the referenced forum posting, i.e., I made sure all the *_checksum columns were UNSIGNED, and I did an EMPTY on mint_visits.

At first this seemed to have worked, but I am again getting 127.255.255.255 entries in my statistics.

What else can I do to clear this problem up?

Thanks Mark

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Jan 10, '08 at 09:25 am

Is your ip_long column also UNSIGNED? (It should be, that’s the column that corresponds to this problem.)

markn
Minted
Posted on Jan 10, '08 at 09:47 am

My bad. I had checked the id column not the ip_long column. Set ip_long to unsigned and did an EMPTY on the table.

BTW, should id be UNSIGNED or not?

Thanks Mark

Followed all the steps mentioned within, but still getting tons of hits from 127.255.255 within the NameTags mint. This affects our home rentals site at rentnice.com

any answer on this? I’ve tried all the steps to fix it numerous time. now have over 2000 visits in nametags from 127.255.255.2555

Hello? anyone checking this board?

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Jun 02, '08 at 08:43 am

On the weekend, officially? No. Since this problem is associated with a third-party Pepper I suggest you contact the developer directly. I don’t support third-party Pepper.

I am now seeing this problem in my Crushes pepper as well. While I have not tried out the steps in this post, is there a clear set of steps I can do to get rid of the unrealistic amount of visits and time from 127.255.255.255?

Thanks!

Sam Brown
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Mar 31, '09 at 04:05 am

You could ignore the IP Address using the Advanced Preferences located at /mint/?preferences&advanced

Any other options? nothing working. thanks

did you give mint a range of ips to ignore? that’s what i had to do in this situation because it wasn’t just 127.255.255.255 that was affecting my metrics.

Like what kind of range?

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account

Hey there, I have officially suspended sales and support of Mint. The Create Account, Add License, Transfer License, and Contact forms have been disabled. Existing customers may continue to login and download Mint.

More info Continue